It’s time for another addition of my Patio Chat series where I discuss things that are a little bit more personal. It’s alot more fun when you interact so don’t be shy. Grab your cup of tea, wine, or whatever you like and join in the discussion with me today.
Now that I’ve been back in to the single world of dating for some time now, I have observed that guys don’t necessarily dig the outdoorsy chick. When men learn that I’m into kayaking or taking hikes or being outdoors, it’s not often met with much enthusiasm.
It’s like they think it somehow lessons my ability to be feminine. That is most certainly not the case. But you know what? They are missing out. Outdoorsy, adventurous types like myself are pretty awesome. If you have passed up on the outdoorsy chick here’s a list of reasons to make you reconsider why you should date the outdoorsy girl.
1. Easy to plan dates – When you date a girl who really likes being outdoors and enjoys outdoor activities the list of possible fun date activities is virtually endless. True outdoorsy girls will appreciate nature walks in a scenic park, outdoor picnics, kayaking dates, snorkeling trips, beach days, camping trips, fishing excursions, etc.
Taking a woman who is really into these types of activities will get you way more gratitude than the woman who complains the whole way through your date about the bugs, sweating, and the every present threat of breaking a nail. Not to mention trying to convince someone to fall in love with something they just aren’t passionate about isn’t as rewarding as being able to share that passion with someone who is.
2. Self Reliant – Outdoorsy women in general will possess a certain extra dose of self-reliance. The great outdoors can be unforgiving and unpredictable. A woman who spends any amount of time in the elements will have learned how to adapt quickly to changing situations.
She will also have learned to rely on strength of self. That doesn’t mean we don’t welcome help or assistance from our men, but if clingy and über needy women turn you off then the outdoorsy type will attract you with her confidence and self-assurance.
3. Never A Dull Moment – The outdoorsy girl tends to be all about fun. She will enjoy trying new things and usually be down for adventure. When your girl is the outdoorsy type your relationship will not suffer from boredom or monotony.
This same spirit of fun and adventure typically translates into other aspects of your relationship too. You can interpret that however you wish.
4. Mentally Healthy – Countless studies have shown the benefits of spending time outdoors on your mental and emotionally health. Outdoorsy girls know this too! When you are dating someone with a healthy outlet for dealing with life when it starts to throw lemon curveballs, chances are you will not end up being that person’s emotional crutch.
We are also much less likely to spaz out on you because we know how to get that emotional tune up that is so needed every now and then.
**Fair Warning: If for some reason a woman who is drawn to nature can’t get outside for an extended period of time, watch out. We might become easily agitated. Just get us to some fresh air and all will be right with the universe again.
5. Sex Appeal – I think a large stereotype that is placed on women who consider themselves to be “outdoorsy” is that outdoorsy women are less feminine in mannerisms or style. This is totally untrue. Some outdoorsy women do wear the stereotypical Paul Bunyan plaid or camo gear or those tell-tell shirts with the silhouette of a pink buck on them (not my thing but you do you).
Please don’t be offended if this is your style. It’s all well and good if that’s your thing; it’s just not for me.
However there are so many of us “Outdoorsy Divas” that completely embrace fashion, style, and bling (on occasion). I have been known to go fishing wearing a dress many many times. I wasn’t making a statement, it was just comfortable for me and it just so happens that it also made me look adorable.
I hike wearing my hoop earrings. I’ve snorkeled with a full face of make up. And guess what? No matter how glam or how comfy we may choose to look while we are out enjoying the great outdoors, we can still clean up to look pretty darn good.
We’ve still got sex appeal so don’t count us out.
6. Wide Variety – I can’t tell you how many times I hear someone tell me “You don’t look like the outdoorsy type.” What that means exactly is sometimes hard to tell.
It could be a number of reasons. It could be my race because for some reason black women are assumed to not want anything to do with being outdoors. That couldn’t be further from the truth. One look on Instagram under hashtags like #OutdoorAfro or #BlackAdventuristas or #OutdoorsyDiva or #BlackGirlsKayak and you will see that the joys of the outdoors is not limited solely to white women.
It could also be because I’m not a size 2. It could be because I wear jewelry or make up sometimes when I’m out on a nature walk. Perhaps it’s because I don’t dress in the traditional outdoor apparel. I wore hot pink and black tights on my first bird watching trip. LOL That was certainly not the color combo of choice for the other birders that day.
Whatever the reason for the presumption that I don’t look like the outdoorsy type, all of them are false. Outdoorsy women come in a variety of skin color, size, body shape, age, and personal style. So take your pick. Whatever physical attributes you find attractive, you can most definitely find them in an outdoorsy girl.
7. Learn From Her – Dating an outdoorsy girl might broaden your horizons, especially if that’s not necessarily your thing. As long as you are open to experiencing something outside of your comfort zone it can be a mutually rewarding experience.
She may turn you into an outdoorsy guy if you’re not careful! Even if you are already into getting outside, she might expose you to a new kayaking spot or hiking trail that you weren’t familiar with before.
Obviously these reasons are all generalizations and by no means do I consider myself to be the voice of outdoorsy women everywhere.
However if you want to date someone you can learn from, someone with confidence and just the right amount of independence, and someone you can never be bored with, date the outdoorsy girl. Guaranteed she will change your life for the better.
What is your experience fellow outdoorsy divas? Do you experience your love of nature and the outdoors to be a welcome addition in your dating life or is it a hinderance? Let me know in the comments below.