All across the country June is recognized as Great Outdoors Month. It’s a time to remind people of the joys of experiencing nature’s beauty. In our world of instant everything and constantly being plugged in, it’s nice to set aside time to unplug. It’s necessary.
Quality time is so important. We don’t get these years back with our kids so make the best of every moment. My son and I have bonded by spending time exploring new places together. It’s our chance to talk and listen to each other. Hopefully I’m instilling an appreciation of nature that he will also pass along to his own family one day.
It’s also a great way to bond with friends and your signficant other. This month I encourage you to get out and see what’s in your own backyards. There are county parks, state parks, and national parks just waiting to be explored. I’m making it a point to visit at least 2 state parks I’ve never visited before and 1 national park this month.
I’m happy to announce that on June 6th, Outdoorsy Diva has teamed up with Teresa Baker, of Outdoor Afro, to participate in the annual African American National Parks Event. We will be exploring the De Soto Memorial National Park in Bradenton, FL. Check out the event page for more information and to sign up to join us if you are in the Tampa Bay area. If you’re not in Tampa then search online for an AANPE event near you. If you don’t find one then I encourage you to just go on your own and use the hashtag #AANPE. If you can’t get to a national park, then any park will do. Just get outside!!
Check out these links for some “Outdoorsy” inspiration:
2. Zip Line
3. Blue Springs, Florida Caverns, Florida Waterfall
5. Edward Medard Park
6. Weeki Wachee Springs
10. Florida Springs
12. Florida State Parks
I’m also hosting a social media photo challenge with prizes! Everyday during the month of June there is a photo prompt related to the outdoors. I hope you’ll join in on the fun!
A huge thank you to our event sponsor McDonald’s Tampa Bay and Westchase Golf
1. Pictures or short videos shared on Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter will be accepted as contest entries.
2. Must use BOTH hashtags: #GreatOutdoorsMonth and #OutdoorsydivaGO
3. The tricky part is making sure I can see your photos. Here are a few tips to help you:
Instagram – Check to see if @OutdoorsyDiva is following you. If I’m not, you can either make your profile public or you can send me a direct message and I will follow you back so that I can see your pics.
Facebook – Make sure you change the setting on each picture you share to Public. This is only for the picture and does not change your profile status.
Twitter – Tag @Outdoorsy_Diva in your tweet
4. Remember that each prompt is just a prompt. You can be creative to tie your picture into the prompt for the day.
5. How do you win?? It’s a secret. You want to try to get as many relevant pictures shared for each prompt as you can. You may post more than one picture a day for a single prompt but you may not repeat the same picture for different prompts. In the event of a tie, creativity will help to break the tie.
**Prizes can only be mailed to U.S. residence and redeemed in the U.S.
Grab your sunscreen, insect repellant (so crucial), and water and get outside this month! Please share with us! What are your Outdoor plans are for the month of June?
Lauren G. , Outdoorsy Diva™
“Adventure Is a Lifestyle!“