I’m a wanderer at heart, which means literally EVERYWHERE is on my list of places I would like to visit. However, there are quite a few places that are really special during the Christmas holiday season. Here are my Top 10 Christmas travel destinations for Christmas lovers. I’ve got a lifetime of Christmases to get these all checked off of my list.
- Visit Walt Disney World at Christmas. Cinderella’s castle at Magic Kingdom is covered in lights making everything feel more magical. All of the parks have their own spin on holiday celebrations. There’s a new light/fireworks show this year at Hollywood Studios that has gotten great reviews. There’s also an aerial drone show at Disney Springs. The best part of visiting WDW at Christmas is resort-hopping to see the Christmas decorations at all of the different resort properties. This is something you can do completely free even if you aren’t staying on the property. There’s a larger than life gingerbread house where you can purchase a roof shingle of gingerbread at the Grand Floridian and an entire life-size display made of chocolate at the Swann and Dolphin.
- Visit the Christmas Markets of Germany. The largest Christmas Markets are in Frankfurt Germany and Strasbourg, France. However most of the major European cities have some version of the Christmas Market. You will find all kinds of holiday foods, wines, and holiday crafts for sale.
- Christmas in New York – New York has its own brand of holiday magic. Of course there is the infamous Rockefeller Tree. There is also the 5th Avenue holiday window displays, the Rockettes, Central Park, and the Christmas markets.
- Christmas at the Fairmount Castle Banff Springs – Visiting Banff National Park in Canada is already on the list of any outdoor lover. However for a Christmas enthusiast like me, I dream of spending a Christmas here. Not only does it look like the dreamiest winter wonderland, there are some really epic activities. There is dog sledding, skiing, sleigh rides, snowmobiling, and ice fishing. This outdoorsy diva is ready for all of it!
- Christmas with Santa Claus in the Arctic Circle – Lapland, Finland is thought to be the original home of Santa Claus. You get to meet Santa and his elves in his workshop. interact with reindeer, and go dog sledding. If you’re lucky you might also get to see the Northern Lights.
- Christmas at Kakslauttanen Resort – It would be a dream come true to stay in one of the kelo-igloo cabins or one of the large glass igloo cabins and sleep beneath the Northern Lights. You can also choose to stay in a room that is actually inside Santa’s home or you can just visit for dinner. There are husky sleds and reindeer safaris and all kinds of ways to enjoy the winter wonderland of Finland.
- Verry Merrytime Christmas on Disney Cruise Line – The Disney Cruise Lines go all the way out for Verry Merrytime Cruises. The ship is full of holiday decorations and there are all kinds of Christmas-themed activities. Castaway Cay is even transformed into to a winter paradise with snow flurries at the beach.
- Christmas at the Biltmore Estate – The Christmas celebration at the Biltmore in Asheville, North Carolina is one of the most beautiful found anywhere in the country. The estate boasts 70 decorated Christmas trees and thousands of lights.
- Christmas at Edinburgh Castle – This castle in Scotland offers visitors a classic Victorian Christmas experience Learn about the origin of the Christmas cracker, and learn where the tradition of the Christmas card came from.
- Christmas at the Gaylord – One of my family’s favorite traditions is ICE! at the Gaylord. We’ve seen it at the Gaylord Palm in Orlando and the Gaylord Texan in Dallas. ICE! is a magical walk-through of larger than life ice sculptures carved into whatever the theme of the year is. It’s a different theme at all four of the Gaylord resorts. The other 2 resorts are in Nashville and the Washington, D.C. area. They also go all out with decorations, shows, and special Christmas packages. It will definitely put you in the spirit.
What are some of the Christmas travel destinations that you have enjoyed or that you recommend? Let me know in the comments below.
If you love it Pin It!