It’s December! It’s my favorite time of the year. Let the Christmas countdown begin. While I am consumed with upcoming Christmas parties and finding that special something for my son and my mom, I actually have something even more pressing in the works. In less than 2 months my one and only baby boy will be turning 16 years old. Yes, 16! The teenager is approaching a major milestone. As you know we love to have mom and son adventures, so he’s a lot like me. He’s probably even more of an adrenaline junkie that I am.
So what do you do when your daredevil kiddo is celebrating a big birthday? A kid like mine scoffed at the very suggestion of a “sweet 16 party”. Ehhh is it called a sweet 16 when it’s for a boy? Anywho, he nixed the party idea immediately. His request was something cool, with his closest core group of friends or we could go somewhere so he could use his passport. I’ve thrown him some pretty great birthday parties over the years. This one has to be really special and really different.
You’re in luck! While I’m brainstorming ideas for the ultimate 16th birthday for an adventurous kid, I’m also building the definitive list of ideas for giving the gift of experiences. I prefer to give experiences and create memories, rather than just give material presents. Here are some of the awesome adventurous ideas I have for a not so ordinary 16th birthday that coincidentally work as unique Christmas gifts for the adventurous person in your life. Just about every business these days offers some sort of gift certificate so many of these ideas could work as great holiday gift options.
- Weekend at a dude ranch with horseback riding and other cowboy activities
- Fishing charter boat weekend getaway
- Zip lining party
- Hang gliding party and barbecue
- Paintball party and barbecue
- Discovery Cove
- Weekend on a boathouse
- Top Golf party (we actually did this last year but it’s still a great gift idea)
- Rent electric boat in the bay and dinner
- Waterbikes on the Hillsborough River and dinner
- Surprise international trip (affordable destination for just Jaylon and I)
- Achery Lessons
- Swim With The Fishes indoor snorkel experience
- Spend a day at a horse ranch
Which idea do you think I should choose? Share your vote in the comments below. If you have any other ideas for giving the gift of experiences or recommendations for vendors not linked please share them with me.
Lauren G. , Outdoorsy Diva™
“Adventure is a lifestyle.”