Summer vacation is almost over! It seemed to go by so fast but we certainly made the most of it. One of the best adventures of our summer were spent right here in our own backyard. Not literally, but just across the bridge. My teenage son and I were lucky enough to be included in the TradeWinds Resort blogger family event courtesy of Tampa Bay Bloggers and TradeWinds Island Grand Resort, St. Pete Beach. This resort has all the elements to proivde the best staycation in Florida. (All of my opinions are my own, pinky swear!) For an entire day we had all of the wonderful amenities of the resort property at our disposal, thanks to the awesome team at TradeWinds Resort while enjoying the beauty of one of the top rated beaches in the country.
Here are the Outdoorsy Diva’s top 10 ways to have a sensational summer staycation!
1. Get a suite and “Just Let Go”! We had a pool side suite for use for the day and it was pretty sweet. The suite was beautifully decorated and has all the amenities you and your family could possibly need for a day of fun in the sun. This was my first visit to the property but I’m definitely looking forward to returning for an overnight stay.
2. Hit the pool! Island Grand has five heated pools and even a pool that is completely covered from the scorching sun.
3. Conquer Splash Island! This was definitely one of our favorite activities of the entire day. The Splash Island Waterpark is a floating adventure oasis. There are inflatable slides, floating trampolines, and other inflatable challenges. My son said it was like being on the show Wipe Out! It really was. They provide you with a life jacket so it’s even fun for those who may not be the strongest swimmers. Kids of all ages (even the adult kids) will love Splash Island. You can sign up for an hour slot at a time.
4. Have a water adventure on a stand-up paddle board! I love kayaking, but until this trip I had yet to try paddle boarding. It’s one of those activities that looks way cool, but I wasn’t sure if I could be comfortable on just a board. This was the day…I had to conquer my curiosity and give it a try. Well, I got on the board….on my knees. I stood up for all of 5 seconds. I was completely out of my comfort zone and slightly freaking out. I get an “A” for effort right? However, my son took to it like a natural. He spotted a school of devil rays riding the waves and saw several fish from his offshore view.
5. Get in touch with your inner child! Right on the beach is a ginormous monster of a water slide. You can either go down the middle or down the side for two completely different experiences. It’s a must do!
6. Chillax! It’s a resort on a beautiful white sand beach. Get a beach cabana or better yet, a floating cabana. Kick up your feet and take in the sights and sounds of the Gulf of Mexico shore.
7. Visit the adventure center! There are so many different things to try on property. It’s absolutely impossible to not have fun. Give Bucky the bucking shark a try. Go out on a kayak or parasail. You can try a shelling and dolphin watch cruise. If you’re really feeling adventurous try out a wave-jet.
8. If you’re looking for fun away from the water, play a round of mini-golf right on the property.
9. Paddleboats! Who doesn’t love paddleboats? Meander along the island lagoon as it winds through the resort for a different perspective.
10. If you’re looking for the ultimate adventure, take flight over the water hovering just like Iron Man. The JetLev experience is available to give you the thrill of flying without a cape or wings or the engineering genius of Tony Stark. We weren’t able to try this experience on this visit but this is now high on my bucket list!
I’m so glad that I was able to experience this oasis! If you’re a Tampa Bay resident, then the TradeWinds is a great choice for a relaxing, fun-filled staycation. If you’re visiting from elsewhere you will certainly enjoy the beach and all that the resort has to offer. As a mom of a teenager and new high schooler, it’s great to find a place where my sometimes too cool son can truly “just let go” and get in touch with his kid side again. We had a such a fantastic day and we can’t wait to return for an extended stay!
Lauren G.- Outdoorsy Diva
All pictures and accounts are the sole property of Lauren Gay unless otherwise indicated. Copyright 2014